Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Taste of the Big Apple Pizza

Pizza is an essential component of a college student’s diet. Therefore, as a self-declared pizza-connoisseur, I set out to visit Taste of the Big Apple Pizza last Friday evening.

Located in a newly-developed part of downtown, it is in a loft-style building that’s modern and open. The interior has brightly painted walls and is decorated with NYC pictures and memorabilia, giving the restaurant a big city energy and atmosphere. On this particular Friday night, there was a live jazz musician playing to a large crowd of all ages.

Despite Big Apple Pizza’s busy night, my six friends and I were seated almost immediately. The menu offers a number of specialty pizzas along with pasta dishes, gyros and calzones. Three of us split a large “Beach Bum,” which is a Canadian bacon and pineapple pizza.
A tough critic of my personal favorite, this pizza surpassed my expectations. Generous heapings of pineapple and cooked to perfection, the pizza really was phenomenal. The other people I was with shared “The New Yorker,” which is ultimately a meat-lover’s pizza. This pizza also appeared to have mounds of hamburger and sausage and received raving reviews.

My one complaint about my Big Apple experience was the loudness of the restaurant. The talented jazz musician certainly added entertainment, but for a relatively small venue, it became too hard to hear when the keyboard and drums were both being played. I found myself finally able to hear conversation at the other end of the table between the musician’s sets.

But, if a loud dinner atmosphere doesn’t bother you, Taste of the Big Apple Pizza is undoubtedly a great pick for a Friday night out. The food is fantastic and comes in large servings, so come hungry and enjoy a refreshingly energetic pizza joint.

1 comment:

  1. Great piece, Nicholle! I could sure use a few slices of the "Beach Bum" right about now...

    ReplyDelete